Hoors? Yeah... Hoors. Prostitutes, Tarts, Hookers, Ladies of Negotiable Affection, call them what you will. For 8 years or so I lived in granite tenement. My Neighbours Were Hoors. Sadly for us all (!?) the brothel was closed down and I moved out of the area. I never did get around to writing about the court case though...

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Not Part of the Job Description...

A friend of mine worked, for a year or so, at one of The Grey Toon's less salubrious hotels. For the fear of being sued, beaten up or dropped down an elevator shaft I won't mention which one... but I'm sure I can say it was situated near the harbour. Oh God, I'd better check it's not the only one down the harbour before I continue with this post... *brief pause*

Right. According to Uncle Google, there's at least 6 in that area so we should be ok!

So recently, this friend and I went on holiday in Eastern Europe... and on one fine evening enjoying the honey vodka, she agreed to "serialize" her experiences.

In her own words, here is my friend's first story about "Hoor Towers":

“Check out that slut! You won’t get any customers at this time in the morning luv,” the other night-receptionist jeered. I vaguely responded by looking out of the window.

Prostitutes hanging around weren’t a big deal to me any more – it was all just part of a usual night working at a harbour hotel in the Grey Toon. At first, of course, when I told my Mum the hotel was situated in the red light district she was a bit alarmed, but didn’t think it would really bother me.

Then one day as I was walking to work at 6:45am a man on the other side of the road called out to me,

“You got the time, love,”

“Its 6:45am” I replied, innocently,

“Are you a working girl?”

Luckily, I recognised the question straight away, said no and hurried on my way. You see my mate the night-receptionist had warned me of this question as she had once been asked the same question and had said yes.

She said yes because she worked in the hotel. She was very hard working... Perfectly reasonable answer I'd say! A young innocent back then, she was very shocked when she was then asked “how much?”

Oh well... Strange punters, I thought, asking girls dressed in ugly hotel uniforms on their way to work in the mornings whether they were into prostitution...


Maybe the uniforms did something for them...

No comments: